Michael M Insurance Services Blog
Your 7 month window begins 3 months before your birthday month and runs to 3 months after your birthday month. If you were born in June it would start in March and run to September. The 3 months before turning 65 is critical because if you want coverage to start on the 1st on the month of your birthday there are some things to think about.
Your Medicare Advisor has an extensive check list in the mymedicaremike.com web site but here is a good outline for you.
1) Sign up for Medicare. Do it sooner than later. The fastest way is online and that will insure that it will start when you want it to. If you wait it will delay your start date.
2) Contact your Doctors, do they accept Medicare?
3) Think about what you have going on (Medically). Having a procedure? Where are you going to do it? Will it involve rehab etc. Do you take medications?
4) How are you getting coverage now? Can you keep it? How will it interact with Medicare? Some Employer coverage is enough so you don't need Medicare, others you have to sign up. Are you in a Union? Do they require you to sign up for Medicare?
5) If your collecting Social Security, You don't have to sign up, they will sign you up automatically. If not, you have to do it.
6) Most Important- Contact your Medicare Advisor, he will guide you to the best course of action for your individual needs.